"You can't spoil a child with LOVE"

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Post Partum OCD/ Depression

PPD in any form is Serious! A lot of Moms experience a little after the baby is born for about two weeks aka Baby Blues...but plenty experience it longer and have no idea whats happening and they feel alone because they do not know who to turn to. Sometimes its a matter of denial, sometimes a mom is too scared to reach out because they don't want to sound crazy and sometimes they just try to get through it by themselves!!! 

I was one of the moms who was " lucky enough" to experience ppocd, it started very vague from not wanting anyone to hold autumn but myself and Allen, to crying with anxiety that something would happen to her b/c of my shaky past w/my grandparents & mom passing away and losing significant people in my life who I loved more than anything :( to feeling like she is just to good to be true and I couldn't have possibly created something so beautiful and pure!!! Then having anxiety that something may happen to me b/c of my unforeseen medical issues that came to light shortly after she was born. But if it wasn't for my Mimi who recognized 2wks after having autumn that something wasn't right and helping me get the strength to reach out, i may have still been in denial lol :) 

 I knew how i felt, which was loving and trying to do everything to protect Autumn but i couldn't control my anxiety. And a lot of it stems from my growing up situations that never seem to bother me until after she was born!!! And I knew that this was not my fault and that as long as I reach out and do everything that I can to get the help I need, I will get through this. So please if you know some one or you've had a similar experience, know that there are a lot of resources and ways to get help and what works for one doesn't always work for another but also to remember that THIS WILL PASS! But reach out for help until it does, b/c if you try and wait it out it can progress into a deeper stage and the longer it may take to get through it...but you CAN & you WILL!!!


<3 Christina

6 comments:

  1. I had ppocd when lachlan first came home...n it was serious! And I still have it now in a way...and I unfortunatly experenced ppd when I had to leave him @ the hospital....but my dr pointed out that it happens to a lot of mothers who were in my situation n not to feel like I was alon...to talk abt what I was feeling....there's ways to get through things like that..and here's the scerete....family and good friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes girl! I still have some moments myself and I've been in Therapy and also cognitive behavioral therapy and it has helped tremendously! Unfortunely my family had a hard time understanding that my ppocd was progressing and so i rushed into going to exercise, mommy n baby groups, trying to figure out meds, and getting into therapy. Thats why I say to just keeping trying to reach out, plenty of moms go through this and it will take time (some longer than others) but it will get better!!! :)
    Thanks for sharing w/me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah ik how you feel....my husbands famil don't get it..they think its unfair how I act n that I CAN'T act that way! Sometimes I just wanna punch them! I can't help how I feel when it comes to my child. No one really understands unless they have been through it!

    And ur very welcome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post partum ocd is such a serious condition that goes unrecognized by the majority of families! It becomes depressing in its own right how some families treat it as nothing and how its the new mom's fault. Post partum ocd/depression can be extreme serious and needs to be taken seriously at the first symptoms. I wish there was more awareness out there not only for new moms but their families too so she gets the support she needs and not just ridiculed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a place we can start to help raise awareness...

    ReplyDelete